Thursday, June 19, 2008

TESL (Teaching English as Second Language)

I got my certification last May 30. After that, I uploaded my resume at jobteach where most schools and hagwons (cram school) find teachers. I tried another site at first, the ones for foreigners, since technically I am still considered one although I have a Korean Citizenship. Anyways, I didn't get any response from that site. They basically told me that under immigration laws they cant issue a teaching visa to a Filipino national. I had to tell them repeatedly that I live here and I am now a Korean Citizen. It was futile to say the least. So I went to the Korean job teaching site and a few hours after posting, I got calls from prospective employers. I went to three interviews, kept my options open and finally made my choice.

The reason I was hired was so they can present me as a native speaker without the hassles of visa sponsorships. There is a discrepancy (discrimination?) between Korean English teachers and native English teachers. No matter how good the Korean teachers are, preference is still given to native speakers. I can understand that but I don't agree. English is English. Trying to sound like an American doesn't appeal to me. It's like trying to lose your identity. Korean English shouldn't sound like a forced trying-to-sound-like-American accent. It's in contrast with the trait Koreans are best known for (homogeneous society)... Which English is the correct English btw? With American, British, and Australian (etc) which English should students follow?

English is really a big deal here. Parents spend tons of money so their children can learn or speak fluently. Some start really,really young. (According to studies, children learn language better that way because their brain has the ability to absorb and retain information cuz it (brain) is still developing). My problem with that is, all the studying (school and after-school) make the children very tired. I hear complaints all the time about how tired they are. Parents send them to hagwons for their own peace of mind. Studying rather than staying at the house playing gives them comfort. Plus with most women opting to work to support the family, nobody is left to watch after the kids. So beginning July I'd be one of those who will have to convince parents that their children can learn English fast and easily (now, wont that be a lie??).

With all the crap I just said, now I have to go teach in an American or whatever accent that comes out but better not be Asian, that's what my boss said.. Korea still has a long way to go.

As for me, I will do what I'm told. For now....

1 comment:

j. said...

hello again.how long have you been in Korea for you to have a citizenship?were u born there?sorry for being nosy.just curious.

hehe.